History of the Patrician Brothers

Founded in 1952 by the Patrician Brothers to serve the mainly rural families of Blacktown and surrounding districts. The College is set on seven hectares in the heart of the rapidly expanding Blacktown City. Located just five minutes walk from the Blacktown interchange, the College is easily accessible by public transport. Like our City we have continued to grow and respond to the needs of our stakeholders but our culture has remained unashamedly Catholic and boy-friendly.

In 1996 – 1998 the College was part of a restructuring of Education in the wider Blacktown district and this meant the loss of years 5 and 6 and the inclusion of years 11 and 12.  An extensive building program was undertaken as part of this restructuring.  The Jubilee Hall was opened in 2002 and 2011 saw us using the Patrician Learning Centre (PLC) which, as part of the B.E.R., enables us to utilise technology and flexibility in teaching. We our justifiably proud of our physical resources.

The College motto “Christus Regnat” translates to “Christ reigns.” We strive to build a community where “Christ Reigns,” in the hearts of all. Where students are encouraged to grow and develop in a community that reflects the gospel values of faith, forgiveness, honesty, hope, justice, respect, tolerance and trust. The students are actively encouraged to develop a personal spirituality based on the Patrician ideals of; prayer, Eucharist, community life and care for the poor.

The College provides diverse learning opportunities which challenge students at every academic level. Highly qualified staff and diligent students consistently gain outstanding results in the School Certificate and Higher School Certificate examinations. Our curriculum and our teaching recognise the particular learning needs of boys. Year seven students study the traditional academic subjects, Religion, English, Mathematics, Science, Personal development, Health and Physical Education, History, Geography and Design and Technology. In years nine and ten students are given a wide choice of electives and our HSC students are actively involved in a wide range of courses.

All students are given opportunities to excel. The Learning Support Department works closely with teaching staff to ensure that programs of study for each subject are adapted to meet individual needs.

The College offers a broad curriculum including Vocational Education courses in years 11 and 12 as part of a sister school compact with Nagle College. Courses such as Construction, Hospitality, Business Administration and Retail provide students with the opportunity to complete part of their TAFE course while at school.

Our students enjoy a myriad of opportunities to get involved in school life. The College has long held a reputation for producing sporting teams known for their discipline, skill and sportsmanship, Additionally we are recognised for our continued successes at State level in debating, public speaking and chess. Our student’s major works are often chosen for display from works across the state for the Art Express exhibition.

Our results are consistently high in all the Colleges’ endeavours and we are immensely proud of our students continued success in both the Higher School Certificate and the School Certificate.

The College continues to be under the guidance of the Patrician Brothers’ Charism and the Patrician ideals will continue to be central to the College.

For boys’ education that is focused on physical, spiritual, academic and personal growth and that takes place in a supportive and caring Catholic community, Patrician Brothers’ Blacktown is the obvious choice for each talented boy or young man seeking opportunity.

Bishop Daniel Delany 1747–1814 Founder of the Patrician Brothers

A young Irish Priest, Fr Daniel Delany, was appointed to the parish of Tullow in Ireland, towards the end of the 18th century, shortly after his ordination in France.

As a youth growing up in Ireland, Daniel Delany was fortunate in that he had members of his family with sufficient wealth to send him to France for his education. This would have been most unusual in the Ireland of those times where the vast majority of Catholic children had no access to any formal education. For centuries, Ireland had been ruled from England and was occupied by the British army. By the Penal Laws, public worship and public education were denied to Catholics until the Act of Catholic Emancipation in 1829. In his time of study and preparation for the priesthood on the continent, Daniel Delany was removed from the atmosphere of discrimination and suppression that was the lot of Catholics generally in 18th century Ireland.

Even though public worship was legally prohibited, most local authorities in the country had given up efforts to prevent Catholics from coming together for Mass on Sundays by the time Fr Delany took up his first Irish appointment. Tullow was a rural parish about 70 Km south-east from Dublin, in the county of Carlow.

Like most rural parishes of the time, the majority of parishioners of Tullow were uneducated and lived in poverty and hardship. Fr Delany was appalled at the ignorance, the poverty, the helplessness and general condition of the people.

He was especially disturbed at the lack of hope there was for young people and he set about doing something to improve their circumstances. He established two confraternities, one of women and one of men, from parishioners who had some ability and willingness to help the young. The initial purpose was to run after-Mass, Sunday school for children to give them basic understanding of their faith and to prepare them for the sacraments.

Later, some members of the Confraternities offered to teach the children and teenagers simple skills in handiwork and sewing. The hope was to gainfully occupy some of their time, to give them an interest and self-confidence, as well as the skills to improve their human condition.

Fr Delany, soon to become Bishop Delany, was a support and mentor to the two Confraternities, from whom he invited some to become the foundation members of the Brigidine Sisters (1807) and the Patrician Brothers (1808).